OtakuBoards

What made you cry?

shamanluver

I'm sure I've put this down in atleast 5 different posts throughout my time here.

Yu Yu Hakusho, episode 1.
I've seen this episode atleast 12 times through a course of about 5 year, hell they showed it again 3 hours ago on Toonami. Ouch! Hit by a car and ya find out Yusuke died for nothing. What makes a tear come to my eye everytime I see this episode is during the wake, it's just a build up of sadness. Kayko(spellcheck?) crying, as far as she knew she was Yusuke's only friend and she really cared for him. Kuwabara believeing he'd be fighting Yusuke forever, it was an everyday thing between the two, Kuwabara couldn't handle not having that certainty anymore. The principal regretting that he couldn't get Yusuke to stay in school and that Yusuke's potential was lost. His mom crying, no parent wants to outlive their kids. And there was the kid Yusuke died for, completely innocent with no idea Yusuke died and hoping to play with Yusuke. All of this happening in one scene is always too much and brings me to sheding a tear.

Aside from that I can't think of any other animes that have made me shed a tear. I'm sure some animes have brought me close, but none have taken me to the point Yu Yu Hakusho has.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. The first episode of Yu Yu Hakusho is exceptionally well done--even more so because they tell you about Yusuke's death in the first minute of the show, and yet the wake scene that follows afterward is still surprising and touching.

I cried a lot while watching the second half of X TV. But episode 16 is what hit me the hardest--watching it was not terribly unlike having my heart ripped out and stomped on. You know that any episode entitled "Slaughter" isn't going to end happily, haha. Basically, episode 16 revolves around Subaru and Seishirou, and more or less brings their story to a close. Lately I've been reading Tokyo Babylon, and now I'm almost dreading continuing with the manga--no matter how it ends--because episode 16 presents their eventual future, beyond the events in Tokyo Babylon, and I just won't be able to shake that image from my head. Though the ending of X TV and the ending of X/1999 diverge, I'm pretty sure that [spoiler]Seishirou's death[/spoiler] is the same in both the manga and anime.

I'm a huge fan of both Subaru and Seishirou, heh. So the incredible irony and tragedy of [spoiler]Subaru becoming the Sakurazukamori really got to me. It was made all the more bittersweet by the fact that Seishirou's love for Subaru (and vice versa) was finally confirmed.[/spoiler] By the time that [spoiler]Seishirou honestly confessed, with his last breath,[/spoiler] I was an absolute mess. But I did think that everything in that episode was beautiful and memorable, if also heartbreaking.

~Dagger~

[SIZE=1] Has anyone ever seen Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien? I don't think you should if you hate depressing soap operas like this one. To me this anime made me cry alot, because it is just so depressing and there are NO good points. At all I'm serious. First [SPOILER] Haruka gets hit by a car and put into acoma for three years, not to mention he goes out with her best friend, and when she wakes up everyone blames her for the pain they went through. It must be so hard to have your world shattered like that. Her dreams fallen apart, and her lover with her best friend. [/SPOILER] How more depressing can you get then that? It made me feel awful, which makes it one of my most disliked anime.

There is also a scene in Marmalade Boy where [SPOILER] Miki decides to break up with Yuu Matsuura in the Airport. It is so sad, especially when she hands him his voice recorder back that he gave her as a gift [/SPOILER] Sounds sappy I know but it just seemed so sad. That and Hana Yori Dango made me cry a few times. In a good way. [/SIZE]

Hikaru no Go Volume 15 was titled Sayonara.

It was so sad when [SPOILER]Sai left and Hikaru was looking for him.[/SPOILER] It was so upsetting when I read the scanlation that I had to go out and buy the Japanese Volume at a time when I couldn't even read Hiragana.

Ah... Poor [SPOILER]Hikaru.[/SPOILER]

-ArV

i recently watched Saikano. ...it was depressing. it seems like the whole thing revolves around [spoiler] a love that was doomed before it even began. *sob* the most depressing episode, in my opinion, was the 9th, when his best friend, Akemi, died in his arms[/spoiler] i dont reccomend this show for those with a weak depression resistance, or a fear of [spoiler]armageddon[/spoiler], or war

...*sob*

Heh... from the way I post in this thread, it sounds as though I cry over works of fiction a lot. What's funny is that I'm usually pretty cold-hearted about that kind of stuff. Because of this, any anime that can bring me to tears is practically guaranteed to become one of my favorite series.

The last three episodes of [b]Soukyuu no Fafner[/b] made me bawl like a little baby. They were simply so [i]perfect[/i], and cemented the show's position as my favorite mecha anime ever. Not too long ago, I wouldn't have been able to conceive of any mecha series being better than RahXephon, but Fafner is all that and more.

Episode 23 and episode 24 made me break down out of shock, since it looked as though [spoiler]Soushi had been killed. I reacted with fear, rage and tears, just like Kazuki.[/spoiler] You know it's a great anime when your emotions perfectly synchronize with the main character's.

What I found most touching, obviously, was the incredible love between Kazuki and Soushi. In the beginning of the series, their relationship was just plain confusing. In the middle, it got even more complicated. In the very end, they [spoiler]finally accepted each other. I can't even describe how happy I was when Kazuki said he would wait for Soushi forever. Their courage and their determination to be together was incredibly moving.[/spoiler]

Some other tragic events: [spoiler]Sakura's death, Mamoru's death, Michio's death, Tsubaki's assimilation[/spoiler]... If nothing else, Fafner is notable for being absolutely ruthless to its characters. Man, what an amazing series. I bet the OVA will have me crying too. :p

~Dagger~

hmm ive cried loads of times lol but most recently

Weiss kreuz gluhen/knight hunter eternity

The first part was the end of an ep ~can't remember which one lol~ [spoiler]were you see toto[/spoiler] or bugger ive forgot his name ive got a terrible memory 2day [spoiler]are found dead by aya and that but there holding each other its just so sad[/spoiler], The went Sena [spoiler]is killed by his own mother[/spoiler], the the one thing that got me the most was the end of ep 13 [spoiler]when you see aya get stabbed and it starts snowing so emotional.[/spoiler] makes me want to cry just thinking about it, he's my fav character

Nadeisco tv series when [spoiler]hmm the gekigengar guy dies, bloody hell i wish i could remember names[/spoiler],

Gundam wing when [spoiler]Heero selfdstructs[/spoiler] don't know y that always made me cry

I can't think of anything else atm lol

I also was depressed after watching the ending for Wolf's Rain. :( However, I think the anime that really got me worked up was a Rurouni Kenshin movie. I can't remember which one it was, but I do remember crying when [spoiler]he dies in Kaoru's arms[/spoiler]. The movie was really good that just kind of ruined it for me. OMG.....I't was so sad!

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]If I hadn't already read that spoiler from a few months ago I'd be very annoyed right now- I'm currently workg my way through the Kenshin series, heh. Please be careful of what you could be revealing to everyone who might not have seen it yet. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

[FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Wow, am I lucky that the various uncovered spoilers I've read in this single thread were of animes I've seen. The rest, the mod(s) caught before reached my eyes. I thank Solo and Dagger for that.

Now, I'm not so much as playing mod as I am a chatty anime fan with a preference for unspoiled shows: [B]PLEASE DON'T SPOIL THINGS! EITHER USE SPOILER TAGS OR DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL[/B].

Anyway, to build on to this thread a bit, I was wondering if I could ask you what makes you cry? Also, what stops you from crying? I'll illustrate in my examples.

When I can identify with a character, and then something tragic (doesn't have to be death, but has to be pretty bad) happens to that character. I realize that these aren't "wholly righteous" characters, but people like me, so it's easier to relate to them. And when something connects to you so well, the emotional bonds affect you more directly.

One thing that stops me from crying is another person. I'm not going to bawl when someone else is there, regardless of how much the scene moved me. It's just not in my power to do so, haha. So, at the end of Noir (I think it was episode 25), all I did was express my sadness with words when [SPOILER]Kirika killed Chloe[/SPOILER], and expressed how strongly that affected me when [SPOILER]you see what she killed her with[/SPOILER]. But not a tear, because I watched that with my best friend.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='AzureWolf][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue']Wow, am I lucky that the various uncovered spoilers I've read in this single thread were of animes I've seen. The rest, the mod(s) caught before reached my eyes. I thank Solo and Dagger for that.[/quote][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]I'd also like to thank Solo and Dagger - nothing is worse than knowing what happens before you watch it!

[quote name='AzureWolf][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue']Anyway, to build on to this thread a bit, I was wondering if I could ask you what makes you cry? Also, what stops you from crying? I'll illustrate in my examples.[/quote][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]I usually cry when I like a character and something drastic, either good or bad happens. For example they finally fall in love or they lose someone they love - generally it revolves around love!

Deep down I'm just a mushy romantic :love:

Saikano. The entire thing. It is one of the most depressing animes ever. Why? [spoiler] Because the entire thing is about love that was doomed. [/spoiler] There is so much angst in the entire series. [spoiler] Everybody dies! For goodness sake, if that's not depressing, I don't know what is.[/spoiler] I watched it in anime club, so I did my best to not cry. But through the entire thing, I was close to tears.

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Palatino Linotype]To be completely honest, Fruits Basket, the last episode...is what made me cry...

And little Kisa, I just thought she was so cute, my little brother could relate to her small dillemma. Kyo, too, I could see why he freaked out in the last episode...

Wolf's Rain got me close to tears, but then I watched the very end (last ten seconds) of the episode and I was like, WTF?

Luckily, Bandai has agreed to show the four episodes that take place after the end of the series. And I believe they'll be released soon...

And in regards to your post, Cheza, I believe that the DVD you are referring to is Reflection. However, I shall say no more...[/FONT][/COLOR]

I have't actually cried over something that didn't occur in real life, but there is of course some anime and manga that can tear you up inside.

Like Future Gohan's death in the Trunk's Special. And yes, like some of you I don't like DragonballZ's plot that much but that death scene was touching because....well...it was the only one that really mattered. If anyone else dies, it was like, who cares, they'll be resurrected in 3 days.(I don't think a spoiler warning is necessary for that one.)

Also, in the Evangelion manga when [spoiler]Toji is killed by Shinji's Eva, mostly because he survived in the anime so it was really unsespected. And the class rep or whatever her name is was so happy about confessing her feelings. Not knowing that he was already gone.
Also, in Akira when Tetsuo and Akira die, because, well, they were insane with power but they were still really cool.[/spoiler]

Like GravyTrain said, even though most of you don't like the DBZ story line, one of the deaths made me shed a tear.
It was when [spoiler]Vegeta sacrificed his life to destroy Mr. Buu. I mean come on! He was an arrogant, prideful, selfish ba***rd but who would've imagined he would blow himself up to save everyone, even though it was a failed attempt?[/spoiler]
That is the only anime episode so far that has made me cry.

>>Matt

In Cowboy Bebop, I think it was previously mentioned, [spoiler] but the episode where the brother is trying to get the money for his sister's operation really brought a tear to my eye.[/spoiler] Full Metal Alchemist, I think episode 7, [spoiler]where the father uses his daughter and her dog to make the chimaera, and his attitude on the whole subject, made me just about regret staying up late to watch it.[/spoiler] But probably some of the most tear-jerking scenes I've seen are from Elfen Lied. [spoiler] Around mid-series, it shows a young Lucy/Nyuu at a children's home, because she has horns makes her the subject of everyone's ridicule, but she finds solace in a puppy she finds that lives outside. The group of boys that constantly picks on her finds out about the small piece of joy she has(courtesy of a girl pretending to be her friend) and the beat the poor puppy into a bloody mess. The scene just about made me sick to my stomach and almost cried. I watched the series with my dad and even he found it upsetting a bit. Another sad scene is in the last episode when the director is holding his daughter, Miriko, I think her name is(diclonius #35) and she holds onto him and tells her that he and her mother loved her very much and then the implanted explosives in her explode as they hold eachother tightly. Even through the sad parts, Elfen Lied is probably my favorite series. [/spoiler]

Any and all parts that are in .hack//sign. I couldn't find a scene that made me feel good in that anime. Especially the part when [spoiler] The little kuchguso, or whatever it's called, dies because it gets sick, and despite the fact that Tsukasa did his best to save the poor thing... [/spoiler] That made me really sad...and then the part when [spoiler] It shows Tsukasa as a child at a picnic with no family, and then the part with the kitten that he was nursing back to life with a dropper and milk...[/spoiler] Now that I think about it... that was just a depressing anime.

[quote name='DarkSesshoumaru']But probably some of the most tear-jerking scenes I've seen are from Elfen Lied...[/quote]
Yes! Elfen Lied fans unite! Go post in the EL thread, dammit--I've been dying to gab about this show. Great banner and avatar, by the way. :p

[spoiler]Kurama's daughter is named Mariko. I completely agree with what you said regarding her death scene. I may actually have mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I can't really remember. So as not to risk repeating myself ad nauseam, I'll try to keep my comments brief. ^_^

The part with the puppy was just awful, wasn't it? I was horrified--and at the same time, amazed that I felt so horrified, given the brutality demonstrated in earlier episodes. I figured I should have gotten used to it by then, but somehow the second half of the show affected me a lot more than the front-loaded gore of the first few episodes. The main exception to this would have to be Nana's first fight with Lucy. Nana became my favorite character from the moment she was introduced, and for a while there I passionately hated Lucy for treating her so badly. I became dangerously close to crying during most of the parts when Nana got hurt.

Another episode that really tore at me was the one in which Mayu's past was revealed. It was almost too vicious and cringe-inducing for tears. I just kind of froze and gaped at the screen in utter rage and disbelief.[/spoiler]

Elfen Lied aside, I don't think I've referred to [b]Fruits Basket[/b] yet. Specifically, episode 8 and the ending arc were what made me cry. Of course the ending is very well done and touching, but I was especially impressed and moved by episode 8, because it made me feel strongly about several characters who had never played a major role in the series before that point. The English voice acting in this episode is insanely good, and lends it a lot of emotional weight.

Oh, and I also broke down the first time I watched [b]Voices of a Distant Star[/b]. Good stuff.

~Dagger~

cry eh?well, the only thing that actually made me cry was a scene in the second last episode of Saiyuki, it was SO sad!!![spoiler]There were scenes of Goku when he was still trapped in that cave and was very lonely(I mean VERY lonely, wouldn't you be lonely if you were trapped in the summit of a mountain for 500 years???)[/spoiler] I was trying to wipe the tears off my eyes, I know for certain the sad background music didn't help...

and I'm also sadened(sp?) by the fact that [spoiler]Okita souji has tubuculosis[/spoiler](why him?? :( )
I'm not going to block out the whole thing because of spoilers, this isn't very spoilerish you know-_-(I'm starting to cry now!!!why oh why do you ppl remind me of these things)

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]A spoiler's a spoiler. I've not seen Sayuki, but I'm sure people would appreciate not having too many details revealed to them if they've not seen it. Better to be safe than sorry, heh. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

Okay, since i dont think anyone said it.....The Lion King...
its cartoon, but not really japanimation....
I shed a tear when [spoiler] Simba's dad fell into the stampede below. It was very sad when it was in slow motion and his dad is like "ill always be there for you in your heart!!" or something like that.[/spoiler]