OtakuBoards

Languages

DBZgirl88

[COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=1]I can speak english... with a New Zealand accent since I live there. I can speak a bit of Japanese too- I took it in school for two and a quarter years although this year I have given it up so I can pursue other stuff. I learnt all I really felt I needed to know at present- I really enjoyed it, but after learning the two basic scripts Hiragana and Katakana and basic words and grammar I figure I can take it up again later ^.^

Japanese is such a beautiful language though. I think I like it, because writing the charaters is a type of art.

I'm tempted to take Latin by correspondance, for a few reasons- you sound brainy when you say you know latin, and it gives a good insight into english spelling and definitions. I think my spelling has been getting worse and worse over the past year. I blame it on my english teacher ^_^

I can speak Pig Latin though- it sounds really stupid, but you take the first letter from the start of a word and put it on the end of the word, and add "a"(as in "a" from hay) or if the word starts with a vovel, add "ha" to the end of the word. It's so pointless when it's written down though. I used to speak it with my friends all the time when I was 11...^^

Ellwa, atthay's allha orfa owna olksfa!

Sorry, couldn't help it ^_~[/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#B33D79][SIZE=1]Pig latin. Though I'm not fluent in it, I easily understood what cinnamon said. Hmm... Maybe if I hold my mouth open with clamps long enough, I'll acquire the proper accent!

[u]Hey, I've a question:[/u] A lot of people here said that they could understand a particular language but can't speak it. Something to do with our brain? A space-saving method, perhaps?

About the Japanese language (redundant?): I admit, I wanted to learn the language so that I can buy cheap, untranslated manga and DVDs (cheaper by 30%! w00t!). To survive in Japan when I take my post-graduate studies there is also one reason.

Now if the best universities are located in a country that speaks Swahili then I'll take up Swahili lessons as well! :D

Love and Peace![/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#004a6f][QUOTE=Freude][COLOR=#B33D79][SIZE=1][u]Hey, I've a question:[/u] A lot of people here said that they could understand a particular language but can't speak it. Something to do with our brain? A space-saving method, perhaps?
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]I think it's because you can't talk and think at the same time, lol. We're already limited in the language, so we have to think about what we will say, and then say it. Even if I know the grammar rules well, I forget how to apply them when I'm speaking. I have that problem with all languages I learn, even french, which I've had alot of exposure to.

I admit I'm pretty quiet person. I find it difficult to start conversations and usually prefer to remain a silent observer. This is probably the main cause of my problem with languages.

Right now, I can barely even understand japanese when it is spoken. We have many listening excerises in class, and the speed is just too high. My teacher says something really fast and then we all try to repeat after her and it's hard. I think it's important to go slowly at first.[/COLOR]

Aside from English, I know quite a bit of Italian which was really helpful when I stayed in Italy. I'm sorry to say though that I lost a lot of it, because I just dont get to use it as much as I used to.
I'm also studying Japanese, and have been at it since March of last year. I got the grammer down, the "kana", and a LOT of vocab. Now, I'm struggling with the "kanji" and at first has a really tough time with it. I was ALL over the place. lol. But then I recently decided the best way is to study them is to learn about 10 symbols a night until I know them cold. And its working, I know maybe 60 off the top of my head. I have a ways to go, though. A LONG LONG way. But its so much fun and I enjoy it to no end. There's no greater satisfaction then driving down a road, seeing a Japanese (or Chinese, since the kanji are Chinese characters) sign somewhere and just knowing what it says for the first time.

DarkOtakuBoy

[QUOTE][size=1]Haha. =D I haven't watched much Korean drama at all recently! My dad and I usually just sit around and count the amount of 'OPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAA T_______T'-s there are. And in one of the episodes 'Chungook Eau Gehdahn', we counted approximately 32 'OPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAA'-s (or just an 'oppa') every minute!

Gah, I always go to Korea alone, too. It's fun, though! My first time - when I was six, the stewardess-es gave me a lot of neat stuff, and I got to go up to first class.

As for Korean church, blergh. A lot of the 'traditional' Korean families drive me insane. You know, the whole 'men with the men' 'wives with the wives' 'children with the children' deal. _._;

EEEE. *glomps fellow Konglish-speaking ...person!*[/QUOTE][/size]

[size=1][color=#696969]OMG! I LOVED 'Chungook Eau Gehdahn'! Well, the ending was a bit...argh. But overall, it was cute. My fellow Konglish! YAY! I realized that in the korean culture, you would call me Unny. Since I am at least three years older than you. But for some odd reason, it does not matter. I like being called that, but it doesn't always have to be like that, LOL.

As for the traditional korean families, yes. The "men with the men", the "wives with the wives", and the "children with the children". In this case, men and men, wife and wife, younger kids and younger kids, and youth group with youth group. Then...we disperse. LOL.[/size][/color]

[QUOTE=Neuvoxetere][/size]

[size=1][color=#696969]
As for the traditional korean families, yes. The "men with the men", the "wives with the wives", and the "children with the children". In this case, men and men, wife and wife, younger kids and younger kids, and youth group with youth group. Then...we disperse. LOL.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Lmao. And then with that, comes the whole 'youth group be nice under all circumstances, even if it means younger kids assulting youth group with lightsabers'. Hoi, and there's also the case with other parents scolding other families' children for not playing with their own. Honestly, traditional Korean families have such spoiled children. I went to Lotte this summer and this child was SCREAMING at her mom (swearing, also, this five year old girl), annnnnnd was quite shocked, lol. >.>

eee. But thank god they have English along with Korean for mostly any 'big' thing in Korea. It takes me forever to read Korean though speaking it isn't a problem. ^_^;

Can you read Korean, too? How often do you visit? For me, it's usually about every three years. There's this odd thing going on where this fortune teller in Hong Kong (some bloke who predicted the tsunami in southeast Asia) warning people not to go to Korea and Japan in 2005 after Feb. Hmph. *shrug* I actually may be going this summer. >.>;;;;[/size]

[quote name='Juuthena][size=1']eee. But thank god they have English along with Korean for mostly any 'big' thing in Korea. It takes me forever to read Korean though speaking it isn't a problem. ^_^; [/size][/quote]

[size=1][color=#696969]I can read and write korean fluently, but I can't write it that well. I also visit whenever I can since my parents are busy and my mom's family are as well. I rarely go to Korea, now that my dad's paralyzed.

As for the five year old child, I'm not surprised that she acted that way. Koreans spoil their only child and when they get another kid, they know not to spoil that second one or third for that matter. I despise spoiled children, I think that they act stuck up and I just want to let them know how idiotic they act and how infantile they seem.[/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
Since I'm Canadian, I was forced to learn french from grade 4 to grade 9. I should of took it again this year, but instead i'm taking spanish. I know enough french( well random words and how to count to 39 or so) and since my friend is half-french I know how to swear a bit(her mom swears alot) also I know some punjabi (most of the people that live in my town are East Indian(South Asian and Middle Eastern) and there's alot of West Indian ppl too(my parents are) so I know alot of words in from those places and alot of patwa(or watever the west indian dialect is called.)