OtakuBoards

What anime do you think has the best visuals?

Guest Alchemist

I've yet to see it, but the new movie Steamboy looks amazing. The only thing I have is this behind the scenes/preview about it. It's about 30 mins and they showed a lot of stuff about what they did. Apparently the entire project took about 10 years to finally complete the masterpiece they exactly wanted. the drawings and CG are all very well done and i want to see Steamboy so bad.

Steamboy... Wow... That was AWESOME! No offense to Pixar, Miyazaki, or Oishii, but that was the most beautifully animated film EVER! I was just amazed from the first frames, and was hooked for the next 2 hours and whatever minutes! Fluid, realistic, and expressive 2D combined with intricately detailed 3D added up to an amazing work of cinema!

As for TV anime, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex has the best effects and layouts, but Cowboy Bebop has the best character design and boarding. It's a pretty close call. I fully expect Samurai Champloo to have better animation than both of these, given it has both IG and Wantannabe behind it.

Metropolis was another movie I havent seen that blew me away. Ive seen so much about it: stuff on the internet and lots n lots of trailers. This is just one of those titles that I just cant find anywhere! Anyway, there is so much insane stuff that goes on and I'm so fascinated by it. The characters themselves look a bit more on the cartoony side (opposed to a more serious look) but the animations and visuals are still amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
I have to say last exile. Whatever one thinks of the story, it's impoosible to say it's not beautiful, while at the same time it fuses classical and futuristic design while remaining understated and not giving into the the evil lure of garish primary colours.

In terms of CG, Vandread is the best out there so far.

Gundam Seed is also very stunning visually, and we can't forget wolf's Rain for its slightly dark undertones and mood.

Excel Saga for the multiple and random visual styles also.

[quote name='Otaku America][color=navy]When it comes to anime visuals, [b]Last Exile[/b] brings home the crown. Last Exile is truly a magnificent work of art.[/color] :D[/QUOTE][QUOTE=Leofski']I have to say last exile. Whatever one thinks of the story, it's impoosible to say it's not beautiful, while at the same time it fuses classical and futuristic design while remaining understated and not giving into the the evil lure of garish primary colours.[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]I really have to disagree here. I've only watched two volumes of Last Exile and I really didn't feel like taking it any further. While a greyscale is effective and is a nice contrast to the vibrance of some other animes, the thing I didn't like about Last Exile was the characters' eyes. They just look so... dead compared to the others I watch. And in that way i found it harder to identify with the characters because some just didn't look human enough. I know that's probably the point of a lot of them, but even the two children (Klaus especially) didn't do anything for me.

And I'm still always wary of computer animation in anime- the style that GONZO uses just doesn't sit right with me. It didn't in [i]Blue Submarine No. 6[/i] and it still doesn't seem to blend in properly with the rest of the animation. I much prefer the handdrawn animation- until something better arrives, the ship battles in Outlaw Star and Cowboy bebop will always remain a firm favourite with me.

But as for which anime I think has the best visuals... it depends on what aspect you're talking about. The anime I choose to watch will depend heavily on what the characters look like. I've never bothered watchin Akira, for instance, because I just can't stand the way the characters look compared to ones in animes like Evangelion. And while the anime itself isn't my favourite, I think the character designs in Eva always have something deeper about them that makes them really stand out.

In terms of a series/show as a whole, Cowboy Bebop (the movie in particular) was the one that impressed me the most visually. The characters, the angles, the scenery... it'll be hard to surpass that.[/COLOR]